03 September 2015

Accepting Help Means We're Inadequate

Do you believe that title? Does it make you cringe?

I invite you to read my thoughts on how accepting help is a picture of the gospel. You can read the complete article at Velvet Ashes, a fantastic blog that connects women serving overseas.


~~~
“I can’t do this.” I let my pregnant body collapse back into the sofa. Immediately, my two toddlers darted for me and tackled their little sister, still in utero. This wasn’t what overwhelmed me though–their activity; rather, I had just heard that we would soon be hosting visitors from the States.

Because it takes a certain brand of tenacity to move overseas with young children, the I-can-do-it-all mentality must be common among expat moms. We live far from family and familiarity yet determine to mother as impressively as if we are in our home countries with grandparents living down the road. “When the going gets tough, the tough get going,” right? We shrug off the offers of help with a casual “Thanks, I’m good!” and carry on with the work that must be done.

So when I learned that I would have houseguests during my third trimester–my stubborn independence still balked against the idea of assistance. Why? To ask for help is to admit inadequacy.
~~~

You can read the rest at Velvet Ashes by clicking here.

1 comment:

  1. What a good connection you made. It can be so hard to ask for help. I hope I can remember what you have written here in the coming months - as we move I'm sure there will be times I need to ask for help.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Comments awaiting moderation may not appear for several hours or--if the kids and I fall asleep at the same time--at least a day. Thank you for your patience and please do not feel deterred; your feedback and insight are most welcomed!