01 August 2015

Week Recommendations #52

Voluntourism
Written by a college journalist, this article examines the effects of short-term mission/volunteer teams to Africa. Her firsthand examples are both enlightening and sad. Her conclusions give us much to consider and discuss.

"Voluntourism: More Harm than Good" by Heather at Collegian


The Weight of Ignorance in Morality
Two intense topics from the past week meet in this article. Which is worst: the slaughter of Cecil the Lion or the uncovered Planned Parenthood videos? This perspective takes us back into history and to the Bible.

"Is Cecil the Lion More Devastating than the Planned Parenthood Videos?" by Karen Swallow Prior at The Washington Post


Balancing Motherhood and Ministry
This seems to be the question repeated in Christian mom circles during the years of little ones: "How much should I do outside of the home?" This author redefines "balance" and gives a strong Biblical perspective to the dilemma.

"How Much Should a Mom Minister Outside the Home?" by Jeanne at True Women


Missionaries and Cross-cultural Workers: Take Vacations!
After a refreshing summer away, I appreciated the blunt honesty in this post about why missionaries should take vacations. Rest is needed, even--especially--for those living in "exotic" places. 

"Why I Can't Talk about My Vacation" by Anna at The Missions Blog


Cross-Cultural Parenting Books
There is a plethora of parenting books out there, but here are a few with the perspective of raising TCKs. If you're familiar with one, feel free to leave your insight in the comments. I enjoyed Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother!

"10 Must Read Parenting Books for Raising Multicultural Kids" by Olga at Multicultural Kid Blog


Here: At Home
I'm returning now from my summer away (both from my home abroad and blogging)! This week, I shared the 17 titles I've pulled from my shelves of unread books to finish this school year. Take a look and see if you recognize any, and feel free to share what you're reading and what you'd like to read this year.

"Book Notes: My List for the Year" by Malia at At Home Abroad


--------------------

Did you enjoy this week's recommendations? You're invited to check back each weekend to see more of the good stuff out there brought here. I do my best to keep it relevant to women in cross-cultural situations too. If you think you might forget to stop by, you can subscribe by email (in the sidebar), or follow on FacebookGoogle+Pinterest or Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Comments awaiting moderation may not appear for several hours or--if the kids and I fall asleep at the same time--at least a day. Thank you for your patience and please do not feel deterred; your feedback and insight are most welcomed!