05 March 2015

Book Notes: What I'm Reading


Thursdays are "booked" here at At Home Abroad. If we're not blogging through a book, I'll have one of the following literature alternatives: a list of recommended reads (grouped by theme or age group), a relevant book review, links to articles that cross-cultural readers would appreciate, or some other bookish post. So if you're a rampant reader or would like to become one (or would like to pretend to be one), Thursdays here are for you.


Here's what's happening book-wise on our blog this month:

Book Club
Our book club just finished reading Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo. You're welcome to look at the posts on the four sections of the book:


The next book I'll blog through will be Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother during the month of April. I'll post more details in a few weeks. This nonfiction collection by Xinran gives the stories of ten Chinese women whose daughters were given to adoptive families. Because several of my friends have adopted children from foreign countries(some from China, others from Russia, Thailand, and Ethiopia), this book seems especially relevant.  I can imagine that our discussions next month will cover culture, family, and crises, among other important themes.

Then, what shall we read over the summer months? If you have a suggestion, please either comment here or contact me directly.


My Current Reads
I tend to read a handful of books at a time. Here are the titles currently fighting for my spare moments.






The Hole In Our Holiness by Kevin DeYoung
This is a heavy but readable book on sanctification. He goes straight to the Bible on all points, challenging church tradition and our own cultural assumptions. I recommend this for all believers. We cannot be a child of God yet live however we want.





Fierce Convictions by Karen Swallow Prior
This is a biography on Hannah More, an abolitionist and social reformer who was a friend of William Wilberforce. Dr. Prior was my favorite college professor at Liberty University, and she writes with as much clarity and passion as she teaches. If you haven't yet read her first book, Booked, pick that one up too.

*This Kindle book is on sale right now for $3.79.





To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
This one never gets old! I'm rereading it this time to teach in a small study group, but the timing is perfect with the new Lee novel to be released this year








Expectations and Burnout: Women Surviving the Great Commission by Robynn Bliss and Sue Eenigenburg
I haven't begun this one yet, but the introduction by Amy at Velvet Ashes has got me hooked.  I hope to read along with their book club as they explore the stories and strategies presented. Feel free to join me there if this is also a problem area in which you find yourself.





Abide in Him,






What are you reading? I'd love to hear all about it!

Related articles you may also appreciate:

3 comments:

  1. I came here from the Booknificient link up. I finished reading "The Crimson Cord" and just started reading Esther by Angela Hunt. I want to read Fierce Convictions and will go see if my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good! If you like Bible historical fiction, definitely try The Mark of the Lion trilogy by Francine Rivers. Have you read them? Thanks for stopping in, Sarah.

      Delete
  2. Wow! You are reading some books that look really great! I'm in the middle of A Love Worth Giving by Max Lucado and working through a couple of Lent devotionals. And for fiction, I'm just starting Traces of Mercy by Michael Landon Jr. and Gary Smalley. Thanks for being a part of Booknificent Thursday!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

Note: Comments awaiting moderation may not appear for several hours or--if the kids and I fall asleep at the same time--at least a day. Thank you for your patience and please do not feel deterred; your feedback and insight are most welcomed!