25 May 2014

Week Recommendations #20


Summer Reading Lists
As the summer quickly approaches, I'm on the look out for good reads to take with me traveling. Here are a few lists from people I admire.

My Favorite Books of 2013 by Jen Thorn at Adorned
Good Reads by Ann Voskamp at A Holy Experience
11 Books on My Desk by Rachel Pieh Jones at Djibouti Jones
Best Book Lists (for kids) by Rachel Miller at KidsActivitiesBlog

I will probably compile a summer list too. Have suggestions? Please share!


Book Club at Velvet Ashes
Speaking of reading, the book club at Velvet Ashes is starting their next read this week: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It's a free book, and Amy Young hosts wonderful weekly discussions every Tuesday.

Just FYI, their July book will be Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo, and their August book will be My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok.



But the most important book (still) is...
The best selling book out there is still the best Book out there. We can read a stack full of great writing this summer but still walk away lost and beaten if we do not nourish our souls with the Word of God. 

3 Reasons Moms Need to be in the Word by Christin at The Better Mom



Marriage Overseas
There were a number of fantastic articles this week at Velvet Ashes, all looking at marriages while abroad. Here is a practical list of things we can do to cultivate closeness when we're far from everything familiar.

6 Ways to Build into Your Marriage Overseas by Danielle Wheeler at Velvet Ashes



Here: At Home
I've been blessed to live alongside a good man. My husband is so much a part of me that I ache when trying to think of words to describe him. I wrote a post this week about how living overseas brought us together, and to my surprise, this post on marriage is quickly becoming the most popular thing I've ever put online. I hope it is a blessing and encouragement to you too. 




--------------------

Did you enjoy this week's recommendations? You're invited to check back each weekend to see more of the good stuff out there brought here. I do my best to keep it relevant to women in cross-cultural situations too. If you think you might forget to stop by, you can subscribe by email (in the sidebar), or follow on FacebookGoogle+Pinterest or Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. Malia, I found your blog through Wise Woman Builds Her Home. I have been looking for some good books to read this summer as well, so I was glad to see some reading lists here! Thanks for sharing. - Phylicia

    ReplyDelete

Note: Comments awaiting moderation may not appear for several hours or--if the kids and I fall asleep at the same time--at least a day. Thank you for your patience and please do not feel deterred; your feedback and insight are most welcomed!