24 January 2014

Eyes Upward: A sonnet on transition


I'm on the brink of change in time and place,
An airplane's flight away from foreign lands,
An instant's switch in food, in words, in race,
Before me beams a light on God's great plan--
Still, fear can grip a well-intentioned heart
And lead my feet to trip when following
So that I flinch when it is time to start.
(Anxiety burns and tempts some wallowing.)
But God is there as much as He is here,
And prayer works just as well abroad.
As I pause, I hear His "do not fear,"
And bow my head to yield a knowing nod.
The mission field is ripe and ready, Lord.
Send me now and keep my eyes upward.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Comments awaiting moderation may not appear for several hours or--if the kids and I fall asleep at the same time--at least a day. Thank you for your patience and please do not feel deterred; your feedback and insight are most welcomed!