09 August 2012

Working Out My Salvation

Philippians 2:12-16

Right after Paul talks about Christ as the perfect example of obedience, he tells the Philippians to likewise obey God and "work out [their] salvation with fear and trembling." There's such reverence in his description of sanctification, a reminder to me that I am never to take my salvation for granted. It's so awe-inspiring that the thought of such a divine gift should be offered to sinners...yes, a true pursuit of holiness would be with fear and trembling.

The next few verses describe ways we are to work out our salvation.

Do all things without grumbling or disputing (14),
prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent . . . above reproach (15), and
hold fast the word of life (16).

Simple. Know the Word and obey it. Be holy. Do not complain or bicker.

Of these straightforward commands, I think the hardest one for me is "do not complain." I know my faults best by what is emulated in my children, and my kids know how to complain. I need to set a better example for them of gratitude, contentment, and trust in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Comments awaiting moderation may not appear for several hours or--if the kids and I fall asleep at the same time--at least a day. Thank you for your patience and please do not feel deterred; your feedback and insight are most welcomed!